19 Week Comparison Front

19 Week Comparison Front
300 lbs, 248 lbs. - 52 lb weightloss

60 lbs down and still going!!!

60 lbs down and still going!!!

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

White Water Rafting down the Arkansas River - Brown's Canyon Sizzler

It's Wednesday morning and I finally have a few minutes to update my blog.  On Monday I was able to fulfill one of my lifelong dreams.  We went white water rafting down the Arkansas River at Brown's Canyon.  What an amazing experience!!!

I told Jeremy we would be broke if we lived here because I would want to go every week.  I loved every second of it.  We arrived at AVA Rafting about an hour before we left and I thought Tyler was going to pee his pants.  That boy just was bursting with excitement.  They had all the gear hanging there and another group had gotten ready and left before we did and Tyler was just pacing up and down asking every few minutes if it was our turn to put the wetsuits on.  So cute!  So the kids played horseshoes and frisbee golf and then finally our bus pulled up with the rafts and instructors.  

I have to admit, I was a little worried I wasn't going to fit in the gear, but I did.  I felt amazing.  I had so much energy running through me throughout the entire trip.  I really feel the energy from my surroundings.  Everything in this world is comprised of energy, as we are and I could just FEEL the energy from the river, from the trees, from every living thing around me.  I felt so ALIVE!!!  It was very humbling to see the POWER of the river and the respect our guide Ryan gives the river.  It really was amazing to watch as he guided our raft around the rocks.  

After we got dressed we took a bus ride with all the other families to the drop off location and we were blessed to have Ryan as our guide.  He's been a guide for many, many years and he knows that river.  He was so good with Grace.  She didn't like wearing the life jacket, but Ryan took time with her and adjusted it and just really talked to her about why we wear it.  It was awesome.  When we first started off he had Grace and Tyler in the front and then me and Jeremy in the middle and Emily in the back with him.  Before we hit the major rapids he had Grace and Emily switch.  I was so amazed and proud of my kids and the way they could row.  All day long we heard Forward one, forward two, all forward, back one, back two.  Which meant if he said forward one, we would all row for one stroke, etc.  Half way down we all stopped for lunch on the edge of the river.  The water temperature was about 39 degrees.  They served us apples and oranges and had peanut butter and jelly and bread out on a table for everyone while 3 guides cooked chicken fajitas.  I had an apple slice and an orange and then had a fajita which I could only eat half of.  It was SO GOOD!!!!!  It was a nice break.  Then literally right after lunch we hit the MAJOR rapids.  It was so FUN!!!  I can't even describe the rush of energy and the feeling as we went through the rapids.  My kids the entire time just wanted to get splashed.  Well let me tell you, every rapid we all got soaked.  It was awesome!  When you go through a rapid you have to row full forward with tons of force to have control of the river and not let the river have control of you.  Well, we had control the entire time.  Not once did I feel unsafe.  We just had such an amazing guide.  There was a point in the river that we all got out and hiked up a trail so the guides could check out the rapids before we went through them.  As we were watching these rafts go through the first one through totally flipped the raft and the people inside went sailing through the air.  It was CRAZY to see!  It was intense to even look at the power of the rapids from where we were.  Just crazy!  So when we got back in the raft we all made sure our feet were secure and we just did it.  What a thrill ride!  It was just amazing!  We rafted for a total of 14 miles.  Around mile 11 Tyler had to pee.  The poor boy was just dying.  So finally at mile 12 Ryan pulled off on the side of the river and let Tyler out to pee.  I kid you not, that boy pee'd for like 10 minutes.  It was crazy and funny!  So after that we rowed at full forward for the last 2 miles.  We never stopped.  It was amazing.  I probably could have rowed for another few mile without stopping.  I never got tired.  I felt so strong and had so much energy.  After the trip, Jeremy & the kids were sore and tired, but not me, I felt so alive.  I have to give credit to my trainer Joe for having me life weights and build my muscles.

Yesterday was our rest day.  We went out to breakfast with Jeremy's family and then they left to go back to Utah right after that.  Grace and I went and spent around 5 hours walking around Breckenridge.  It was amazing!  We had so much fun going into all the different shops.  Of course I bought some ornaments.  My favorite thing EVER!!!!!!  Then last night we spent the night playing family games.  It was again, a perfect day.  I feel so blessed that we have been able to come on vacation and really enjoy each other.  I love my family so much and being able to be here, out in nature and witness the beautiful creations of this earth with my family had been so amazing.  We have created memories that we will take with us for the rest of our life.  That's what life is about.  Creating the most amazing memories with your family and just loving each other and having fun!  

Today we are going out to the Country Boy Mine and we are going to take a tour of the mine and then pan for gold in the creek.  Grace keeps telling me she is going to find gold.  I won't be surprised if she does.  Breckenridge has one of the largest gold deposits in the world.  They were saying people make a living my mining and panning for gold.  It will be a fun experience for sure.

I will update again later.  Have a beautiful day!

2 comments:

  1. LOVING every WORD Donna! Great adventures. You are so right on the energy thing. Great great times. Awesome memories! Excited for my kids to be old enough to do it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really have a good time ^_^. i highly recomend rafting because its fun and liberating.

    ReplyDelete